You might not realize it, but your router plays a crucial role in your home’s network security system. It facilitates data transfer from the internet network to your devices. Any security inadequacies on their ends put your entire computer network at risk of cyberattacks, including malware and exploitation.
For this reason, we encourage homeowners to invest in the best home router for security. A robust cybersecurity system ensures that hackers can’t quickly access various, from smartphones to wireless home security cameras. Focus on privacy. Trust us — something as simple as configuring your router settings goes a long way in data protection.
Best Router For Security In 2022
Contrary to popular belief, achieving network security is no longer a challenging feat. With dozens of wired and wireless network security brands, homeowners will never run out of choices.
Unfortunately, some find the different options overwhelming. If you find yourself in a similar situation and don’t know where to start looking, don’t worry. We got you covered.
To help you find the perfect router for your household, we made a brief comparison review of the best wireless routers on the market.
When it comes to versatility and Wi-Fi speed, you’d be hard-pressed to find another router as powerful as the TP-Link Archer C5400. It features an MU Mimo-supported and 2-Tri Band technology. Connect various smart devices, from 4k streaming devices to gaming computers, without worrying about lag.
Moreover, the TP-Link Archer c5400’s range makes it the best wireless router for security cameras. It has eight dual-band antennas that reach 2,000 to 3,000 sq. ft. areas. You don’t have to worry about your cameras losing signal no matter what floor or spot they’re located. Expect crystal-clear, responsive feedback 24/7.
- Excellent range and supports multiple devices
- Straightforward user interface
- Compatible with third-party apps
- Firmware updates require technical experience
- Unresponsive customer service team
- Technical support requires creating an account on their site
Although not as powerful as the TP-Link Archer c5400, the TP-Link AX3000 still delivers lightning-fast Wi-Fi speeds. Its Wi-Fi 6 technology delivers 2402 Mbps on 5GHz bands. You can connect four 4k streaming devices (i.e., smartphones, laptops, security cameras) without sacrificing power.
As for range, its dual-band antennas suit 1,000 to 2,000 sq. ft. homes. This secure router penetrates three to five bedrooms on different floors with ease while maintaining a 75% reduced lag.
- Easy-to-manage restrictions and limitations
- Excellent range on multi-level establishments
- Reliable even with multiple devices
- Uses cloud-based services
- Wi-Fi 6-standard tech is a bit dated
- Poor customer service
The Gryphon Tower stands as the best secure router for parental control. It goes beyond standard browser history records. This secure router features an extensive app that enables you to manage screen time, filter content, and collect user insights. You’ll have total control over the Wi-Fi usage in your home.
However, note that the Gryphon Tower has limited customization opportunities. It doesn’t support third-party apps and has no available USB ports, which are inconvenient but supposedly minimize vulnerabilities.
- Extensive free parental control tools
- Automatic security updates
- Straightforward management app
- Doesn’t support third-party software
- No USB ports
- Only features domain-level browsing history records
Homeowners looking to improve the Wi-Fi signal in their homes without breaking the bank can check out the Synology RT2600ac. Not many similarly priced routers reach 1,500 sq. ft. On the contrary, this device can break past a couple of bedrooms within a 3,000 sq. ft property without compromising speed.
Another reason why homeowners like the Synology RT2600ac is it comes with several helpful features. Check out the user guide. You’ll see that this router also serves as a private VPN network, centralized multimedia hub, and even file-sharing platform.
- App allows you to collect and analyze various traffic data
- Powerful built-in VPN server
- Affordable price tag
- Some SSIDs can’t be turned off
- Poor tech support
- Some firmware updates are buggy
If you need a powerful whole-home system that offers enterprise-level functionalities, check out the ASUS AX6000. It’s a widely used and trusted router in the gaming industry. It delivers 6,000 Mbps on 802.11ax, plus other wireless communication standard networks, so you can expect lag-free competitive gaming and 4k streaming all day.
Moreover, the router constantly looks for ways to speed up your gaming experience. Its unique Adaptive QoS technology connects your gaming device to the quickest path to your game server, thus minimizing ping down to around 20 ms to 50 ms.
Crypto users can also breathe a sigh of relief knowing that the ASUS AX6000 uses commercial-grade home security networks. It uses AI to update security signatures regularly. You don’t have to worry about hackers overriding your networks and infiltrating your crypto devices.
- Super reliable for gaming and streaming purposes
- Enterprise-level functionality and traffic analysis
- Aesthetic, gaming-inspired router design
- Malfunctions when placed near windows
- Firmware updates necessary
- Poor customer support
Homeowners who find themselves logging on to dozens of different devices every day should look into the NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router (R7000). You can connect up to 30 devices to this secure router. It features dual-band technology that minimizes interference and analyzes the most efficient way to divide the 1,900 Mbps it delivers.
Moreover, you might feel it’s impossible to manage this many devices but isn’t. The R7000 comes with the Circle Smart Parental Control, which allows you to monitor user activity across all connected devices.
- Can accommodate over two dozen devices
- Super-easy installation interface
- Doesn’t compromise stability and reliability for quantity
- Needs cables to maximize Wi-Fi speed
- Firmware updates come with several bugs
- Terrible tech support
Things To Look Out For When Buying Security Router
Do you find yourself lost on what to look for in a wired or wireless router? Make sure you go through the following factors to ensure that you get the most secure, reliable option for your family.
- Wireless Protocols: WPA3, the latest iteration, stands as the most secure wireless security protocol. However, note that it comes with several system requirements. You might have to upgrade your older devices to utilize this system.
- Data Transfer Rate: Expect data transfer rates to average 1/3 its max speed. For instance, 300 Mbps on an 802.11n network should give you 100 to 150 Mbps.
- USB Ports: Although technicians primarily use router USB ports to install firmware updates manually, they also serve as media servers, Network Attached Storage (NAS), and even power chargers.
- Dimensions: If you live in a relatively large house with thick concrete walls, opt for bigger routers that produce stronger radio waves and signals.
- Other Notable Features: For added security, your Wi-Fi router should also offer some form of protection against spam and malware.
Frequently Asked Questions
Check out the questions shoppers commonly ask when looking for the most secure routers:
Do routers improve security?
Since routers transmit data between your devices and the internet, their security heavily impacts network privacy and reliability. The best secure routers have top-notch firewall features.
What is the most secure home network?
The quantum internet stands as the most secure home and commercial network to date. It uses quantum signals instead of radio waves, thus minimizing vulnerabilities to cybersecurity attacks.
Are Wi-Fi routers secure?
Unfortunately, most commercial Wi-Fi routers have terrible cybersecurity features. Unless you configure their factory settings correctly, you’ll likely leave your devices prone to various cyberattacks.
Overall, the best router for security cameras, computers, and 4k streaming devices used simultaneously is the TP-Link Archer C5400. It features one of the data transfer technologies on the market. Enjoy 5400Mbps of lightning-fast internet, get access to its exclusive TP-Link HomeCare anti-virus system, and set up a personal VPN that loads websites quickly.
Don’t worry if you can’t monitor your security system 24/7. Security Forward can help! Check out our comprehensive guide on the best home security systems without monitoring.