Best Lightweight Gun Safe For Protection
Responsible gun owners know that choosing to own a deadly weapon comes with an obligation to ensure security. Having secure storage for guns, like a lightweight gun safe, will ensure no unforeseen accidents will happen, including possible theft and access by children.
However, safes are usually heavy. If you seek flexibility and easy access, lightweight safes are a better choice. While weight is a subjective matter and there are tons of options in the market today, you can start with the top lightweight safe options from our reviews.
What Is A Lightweight Gun Safe?
A lightweight gun safe works like any other safe—they are originally created to limit access to certain people and keep everybody else out. You can use them at home, at a store, or at a firing range.
Using gun safes to store your firearms is the first step toward increasing security. Since they are designed for guns, accessing, storing, and organizing guns will be more convenient. However, not all gun safes are created equal, it’s crucial to look at the features before you decide on buying one.
10 Best Lightweight Gun Safe for Protection in 2023
Finding the best lightweight gun safes can be quite a challenge. It requires some research on measurements, storage capacity, fire protection rating, locking mechanisms, and so much more. Here is a quick guide on the best lightweight safes on the market today.
1. VAULTEK LifePod 2.0 – Best Overall
VAULTEK’s LifePod 2.0 is the ideal pick for people looking for a compact lock box that does the job well. This safe is made with the most rigid material and can store handguns up to 9.25 inches in length.
For security, it includes a LED touchpad to enter a master code. You can also opt to use the backup key to open it. It also has an extra layer of security with an anti-picking mechanism you can enable from the inside.
- Light and rugged construction makes it easy to carry
- Weather-resistant IP65 with airtight interior
- Dual compression latches enable airtight storage and security against physical impact
- Battery not included
- Pluck foam sold separately
- Not the best option for double-stack handguns
2. SentrySafe Fireproof and Waterproof Steel Home Safe – Best Small Fireproof
Are you looking for a lightweight safe that can also save your firearms from fire and water damage? The SentrySafe Steel Home Safe is a perfect buy. It can save your handguns from fire for at least 1 hour at 1700°F with UL classification. Plus, if there is flooding, it offers at least 24-hour protection at 8 inches deep water.
- Unit has exterior lighting and backlit keypads
- Removable inside drawer
- One Hour @ 1700°F fire rating
- Internal clutch mechanism needs improvement
- Poor customer support
- Handle bar can be quite flimsy
3. V-Line Compact Keyless Gun Safe – Best Lightweight Handgun Safe
The V-Line Compact Keyless Gun Safe is created as a smaller version of the company’s leading firearms safe. This California-approved safety device is under five pounds in weight, so it is an ideal choice for people who travel with their firearms. Moreover, it features a five-button SIMPLEX locking system to ensure durability.
- Pry-resistant clamshell design
- Compact safety device ideal for traveling
- 18-gram heavy-duty steel construction for added durability
- Interiors aren’t large enough to accommodate more things
- Locking system is not padded
- Handgun can only be placed in one direction because of locking mechanism
4. RPNB California DOJ Certified Gun Safe – Best for Air Travel
The RPNB California DOJ Certified Gun Safe satisfies if you are looking for an innovative and secure gun safe. It’s a very lightweight option that weighs less than five pounds. With its compact size, you get a safe box, security cables, two RFID keys, two manual keys, and a button tool in one place. For emergencies, you can access a hidden key override for backup.
- Three ways to access: RFID tag, password, and key mechanism
- Tamper-resistant latches with anti-theft design
- Meets the TSA standards for gun safety in luggage
- No weather protection or water resistance
- No protection against fires
- May be difficult to set up
5. SnapSafe Tall Titan Digital Modular Safe – Best Tall Fireproof
Though it may be one of the priciest, the SnapSafe Tall Titan is one of the most promising safes on this list. This safe is perfect for storing long guns while ensuring a reliable fire rating of one hour at 2300°F. It also comes with a modular design, so you can break it down and carry it easily like any lightweight safe.
- Has a fire rating
- 9-gauge steel for optimum durability
- Quick assembly
- Expensive in comparison to other options on this list
- Heavy once you put it all together
- May require more than one person to assemble
6 Awesafe Gun Safe – Best Budget Biometrics Safe
If you are looking for a reliable biometric safe that won’t hurt the bank, the Awesafe Gun Safe is a good choice. It combines the old safe mechanisms with modern fingerprint scanner technology for a reliable gun storage system. You can use this safe for two handguns or a large pistol and some ammunition.
- Portable handgun and pistol safe
- LED lights for additional visibility
- Digital keypad and fingerprint scanner for added protection
- The lid is not aligned very well
- Biometrics can be improved
- The quality of doors can be improved
7. V-Line 31242-SA Quick Access Keyless Long Gun Safe – Best Keyless Long Gun Safe
If you prefer a safe that doesn’t require electricity or batteries, the V-Line 31242-SA Quick Access Keyless Long Gun Safe is a considerable choice. It offers a Simplex locking system, which is still a robust and effective manual lock. The gun cabinet, however, appears to be primarily used for keeping kids out of it and for long-term storage of guns.
- No need for batteries
- Large interior space
- Quick and easy access
- Not an anti-theft safe
- Not as durable as others
- More of a gun cabinet than a safe
8. Barska Quick and Easy Access Biometric Rifles, Firearms and Long Guns Safe – Best Biometric Rifle Safe
The Barska Quick and Easy Access Biometric Rifles Safe is an excellent solution to keep firearms and valuable items safe. Its quick access features and extended durability earned it approval from the Department of Justice. Biometric security is one of its best features, offering exceptionally reliable performance.
- High quality biometric authentication system stores up to 120 fingerprints
- Silent mode for discreet access
- 14-gauge heavy duty steel construction for extended durability
- Large and heavy gun safe
- Cannot travel or move
- Meant to be mounted in a specific location
9. SentrySafe QAP1E Gun Safe with Digital Keypad – Best Bedside Safe
Among the gun safes available, the SentrySafe QAP1E Gun Safe is a good choice if you want something perfect for your bedside table. While it allows easy access to your firearm, it will also keep it out of the reach of children.
This safe goes into sleep mode but it can be accessed with just a press, which can come in handy when a home intruder is spotted lurking on the security cameras. Once you enter your code, you can quickly access your gun with LED lights that will help you see in the dark.
- Easy set-up
- Enough space to store one handgun
- Quiet and easy access
- Goes into sleep mode
- Battery runs out quickly
- Bulkier than others
10. Moutec Large Rifle Safe – Best Electronic Long Guns Safe
The Moutec Large Electronic Rifle Safe is the largest and deepest gun safe on our list. It is an ideal option for those looking for a spacious lightweight safe while on a budget. This large safe can secure up to six rifles measuring 50 inches long, plus you get a small-sized lockbox for smaller guns or storing other valuable items.
- Ample interior space that can keep up to six rifles inside
- Reliable PIN code keyboard or manual lock mechanism
- With separate small lockbox inside for handguns
- No biometric authentication
- No fire protection
- Has to be mounted on walls or floors
What Are The Pros and Cons Of Having A Lightweight Gun Safe?
Beyond gun safety, there are many advantages to owning a lightweight gun safe. However, it also comes with its own set of disadvantages. Here are a few to look out for:
- Protection against burglars
- Protection against destruction by fire
- Protection against access by children
- Tax rebates or deductions are offered depending on your state
- Some purchases lead to possible insurance discounts
- May be expensive
- Not the most travel-friendly
- More difficult to access guns
- Lack flexibility in placement
- Can’t guarantee 100% protection
How To Choose Lightweight Gun Safes
Find the best lightweight gun safe for you by putting the most important factors into consideration. If this is your first time getting a gun safe, here are some essentials to think about to help maximize your value for money.
Gun safes are usually made from either steel or concrete. In shopping for a shape, it’s important to look at the wall thickness, how the doors are designed, and how thick the door gap is. Intruders will have a difficult time getting to what’s inside if these factors are in check.
Most gun safes come with fireproofing features. Some use wool blanketing or ceramic sheet rocks for insulation. For the best gun safe, it should have a rating of 350°F for an hour, including a Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or Intertek (ETL) certificate.
Type of Lock
Recently, digitalized safes are available. There are locking mechanisms you can get including password, voice activation, and fingerprint detection. However, there are safes that still feature mechanical locks, for those who want to avoid electronic problems or aren’t tech-savy.
One thing to consider is how well you will be able to move the gun safe from one place to another. The characteristic of being lightweight changes depending on who you ask, but generally, you’d want something one or two persons can comfortably carry.
Frequently Asked Questions
To help you pick the best lightweight gun safe you can install on your property, here are the answers to some of the most popular questions about it.
How much does a lightweight gun safe cost?
You can get good quality lightweight gun safes for $200 to $600. However, if you are looking for a higher quality and capacity gun safe, it might cost up to $2,000.
How long can a lightweight, fireproof gun safe withstand fire?
Most gun safes come with a 30-minute fireproofing treatment, but there are models that can offer protection for up to 90 minutes.
How much does a lightweight gun safe weigh?
Lightweight gun safes are available at an average of 10 to 15 pounds, but those with extra features can go a few pounds higher.
Lightweight gun safes offer the flexibility and durability that every gun owner needs. With these gun safes, you can rest assured of your safety without too much of a hassle.
Overall, the Vaultek LifePod is the best choice, especially if you’re quite the traveler. However, if storage is the priority, we recommend the Barska Quick and Easy Access Safe for its overall value for money and storage capacity. Learn more about other essential security measures with Security Forward today. Check out our tips and guides for optimum home safety to start.